Thursday, April 13, 2017

Justin Urbas - When And How To Hire An Independent Educational Consultant

My recent travels, including to the annual conference of the National Association for College Admissions Counseling (NACAC), have led me again into conversations with members of the Independent Educational Consultants Association (IECA) and Higher Educational Consultants Association (HECA).  An increasing number of families are looking for consultants to help their children through the college process.  You may, or may not, want to join the crowd.

First, do you really need a consultant?  When I started work in an independent school in Florida, I met with a local consultant who had clients in our school.  I told her that I respected such work, having done some after attending the IECA Summer Institute, been a member of the organization, and become a Certified Educational Planner.  I also told her that if we were doing our jobs in the fine school where I worked, no family in our community needed her services, other than perhaps for standardized test prep or academic tutoring.

More at:


Post a Comment


Copyright © Justin Urbas - Higher Education Consultant